DescriptionHide Reviews Show Reviews
The Weigh Safe Drop Hitch is the one and only trailer hitch with a built-in scale that signals you to adjust your load before you hit the road, resulting in a much safer and enjoyable towing experience. Before this ball mount, gauging your trailer’s tongue weight was a hassle. You had to rely on inefficient bathroom scales, make a trip to the weigh station, or purchase a separate tongue weight scale. But with the Weigh Safe’s built-in scale, measuring your tongue weight is as easy as coupling your trailer to your ball mount. Simply hook-up your trailer to the Weigh Safe ball mount just as you would any other ball mount. The weight of your trailer will push down on the hitch ball, which in turn pushes down on an internal hydraulic piston that sits on a bed of oil. When the piston drops into the oil, the pressure reading is sent out to the scale.
Cerakote is a Polymer-Ceramic Composite coating that can be applied to metals, plastics, polymers and wood. The unique formulation used for Cerakote ceramic coating enhances a number of physical performance properties including abrasion/wear resistance, corrosion resistance, chemical resistance, impact strength, and hardness. Each of these properties is rigorously tested to guarantee that Cerakote products remain at the forefront of the ceramic coatings market. Cerakote ceramic coatings utilize state-of-the-art technology to out-perform any competitive coating in both laboratory settings and real world applications.
- Includes a built-in tongue weight scale
- Crafted from 6061-T6 aluminum
- Choose from a 2", 2.5", or 3" shaft
- Comes with 2" & 2-5/16" stainless steel balls
- Choose from a 4", 6", 8", and 10" drop
- Drop or raise in 1” increments
- Double Locking pin included
- V5 and J684 certified
- Made in the USA
What Drop Length Do I Need?
- Measure from the top of your tow vehicle to the ground (make sure you are on relatively level ground)
- Subtract drop height (all of our drops measure 3” longer than the listed drop length; 4” drop = 7” in total, 6” = 9” and so on)
- The total that you get after subtracting the drop is the amount of clearance you would have with that particular drop
22″ (top of receiver to ground) – 11″ (8″ drop + extra 3″) = 11″ (of clearance)
* It is important to know that this is a generic recommendation and there are other factors that could impact the distance from the bottom of the hitch to the ground. We recommend at least 11” of clearance from the bottom of your installed ball mount.
What is tongue weight and why is it important?
Tongue weight (TW) refers to the weight that the fully loaded trailer exerts downward on the hitch ball of the tow vehicle. Tongue weight is typically 10 percent – and should not exceed 15 percent – of your gross trailer weight. For example, a 10,000-lb trailer should have a tongue weight between 1,000 lbs and 1,500 lbs. You can adjust the tongue weight of your trailer by removing or adding cargo, or redistributing the load on the trailer. The tongue weight should not exceed the capacity of your tow vehicle, your hitch, or any of your towing components.
Simply put, too little tongue weight can cause trailer sway and too much tongue weight can cause the tow vehicle to perform poorly. You may have difficulty steering, gaining traction, or braking when driving a setup that has too much weight pushing down on the rear of the vehicle. Ultimately, towing with an improper tongue weight can cause you to lose control of your vehicle or cause your trailer to separate from the vehicle.
FitmentHide Reviews Show Reviews
- 2 Inch Receiver Shank
- 2.5 Inch Receiver Shank
- 3 Inch Receiver Shank
This Part Fits:
DetailsHide Reviews Show Reviews
Customers Also Viewed
Icon Vehicle Dynamics